Outro: Ego - A Review by Michayla Rap

Outro: Ego

by

Michayla Rap


I firstly wanted to say that I couldn’t have been more unprepared for the release of EGO, even if I had tried. I knew it was coming, obviously, but at 3pm on Sunday 2nd February, I was sitting in a football stadium, ready for a match. My UK time zone, football brain was convinced that EGO was being released the following day - that is what I was prepared for!

At 3pm, my phone alerted me to the release and as I sat amongst my fellow supporters and I got over the initial shock, I exclaimed out loud to my eldest son ‘Of course! It’s midnight!’ which earned me some strange looks, aside from one Korean lady who smiled.

My first viewing of the MV was in these circumstances so everything felt heightened. I think ARMY had already guessed that EGO would be Hobi’s, yet I don’t think anyone could have predicted just how ‘Hobi’ this track would be.

The MV was bright, vibrant and I don’t think anyone could deny the fact that Hobi looked absolutely amazing! At first it reminded me of ‘Hopeworld’ and ‘Daydream’ because they make me smile and are such fun videos. After the initial viewing, I was able to watch the MV and look at the lyrics that make up this total bop. 

One part stood out for me in the second verse:

Oppressions all resolved
Into my heart come answers from my most trusted
‘Only one hope, only one soul’
‘Only one smile, only one you’

It is well known that BTS have experienced many struggles in their first 7 years and 2020 is the start of a new era. Hobi says that even after all the anguish and negativity, he has come out unchanged. He is still our J-hope, our sunshine and he has always been well known for his smile and for being so cheerful, despite the angst he may have felt inside. I actually found this comforting because he really is ‘our hope’ and is such a character, so full of energy and life. 

I also feel that the chorus is an important part of the song:


Whatever has happened in recent years, Hobi has trusted himself and I personally am a strong believer in your ‘gut instinct’ and that is exactly the vibe I get from the chorus. Self belief is so important and fits with both the ‘Love Yourself’ era and the ‘Map of the Soul’ era with ‘ego’ being the conscious part of one’s identity as referenced by Carl Jung.

The journey has also led to Hobi, finding himself. No matter how tough life has been, he has carried on, trusting his instincts and believing in himself, which has ultimately led to self discovery.

Way I trust, way I go
Became my fate, became my core
Hard it was, and sad it was
Still reassured and made me know myself’

EGO is J-Hope… it is a ray of sunshine that makes you want to get up on your feet and dance. I have danced with Hobi when he has performed ‘Just Dance’ on the Love Yourself and Speak Yourself tours and I am one hundred percent excited about dancing with him when he performs EGO at the next tour. I cannot wait to see what he has in store for us, his stage presence is mesmerising and I felt saddened at the prospect of never seeing ‘Just dance’ live again, but EGO has restored my excitement.

Enjoy the EGO MV on YouTube on the official Big Hit Labels account:





Comments

Popular Posts