Sweet Night by V - A Review


Sweet Night

by

Michayla Rap

‘Sweet Night’ is the OST from the drama ‘Itaewon Class’ which stars one of Tae’s closest friends Park Seo Joon. I haven’t yet watched any of the drama but I will certainly be watching it at some point very soon.

The very first thing that struck me about the song, within seconds of it starting, was how emotional I felt. Tae’s voice is simply stunning and pulls you in immediately, hitting you right in the heart, magnified by the fact he is singing in English and I love the whistling and ‘aaah’s’ that are part of the chorus.


‘Sweet Night’ has beautiful lyrics, a journey of someone’s personal thoughts about someone they care about very much. The chorus feels quite sad, reminding me of the phrase ‘Passing, like ships in the night’. In this case, one person reached the shore, their feelings greater than the other who continued sailing by.

‘How could I know
One day I’d wake up feeling more
But I had already reached the shore
Guess we were ships in the night
Night, night
(Aaaah, aaaah, aaaah, aaaaha)
We were ships in the night
Night, night’

In the second verse, there is so much uncertainty, not knowing whether to act on the strong feelings felt within, having questions but not knowing whether to ask. There is so much emotion in this verse, the description of their heart pounding and thoughts rushing through their mind like a river, are so vivid.

‘I'm wondering are you my best friend
Feels like a river's rushing through my mind
I wanna ask you if this is all just in my head
My heart is pounding tonight I wonder
If you are too good to be true
And would it be alright if I
Pulled you closer’

I really feel that this song lays the foundation for a beautiful drama that I would expect to be full of emotion and I cannot wait to watch it. ‘Sweet Night’ is melodic perfection and it has catapulted itself straight onto my bedtime playlist because of its calming feel. There is also the added bonus of the instrumental version where you can allow your thoughts to drift away to your happy place.

Everything about 'Sweet Night' is wonderful and in my opinion it fits perfectly alongside 'Scenery' and 'Winter Bear' which speaks volumes about how much this song is Taehyung.

*Sweet Night is the first Korean OST in History to debut at #1 Worldwide & European iTunes Song Chart.

Comments

Popular Posts