BTS in Europe - London 9th & 10th

BTS Love Yourself World Tour 2018
BTS @ the O2 09/10 & 10/10
By
Michayla Rapley
I am 39 years old and attended both nights which were both very different for different reasons. The Tuesday night I took my 13 year old Daughter and we went with my Sister and two nieces aged 13 & 15. We had VIP box tickets and we arrived at the O2 around 3pm. We had already had the bad news that most of the merchandise had sold out but I was lucky enough to have a QR code for the BTS studio which we raced to first. The studio was a very smooth quick experience. I didn’t quite know exactly what to expect even though I had seen the videos online. The staff were great and I was soon the very proud owner of a photo of me sat on a couch with V sat beside me… totally surreal.

On Wednesday my Daughter and I met up with ARMY that I had met in a senior UK ARMY group. My new found friend and her two daughters had been at the O2 since midday but whilst halfway down the queue for merchandise, the news was once again announced that most of it had sold out, including programmes which we all wanted. On both nights the only merchandise readily available it would seem, were the ARMY bombs so all the girls managed to get them which was great and the pairing booths were easy to use with great staff.
Entry was very different on both nights. Tuesday night was easy for us because we had VIP passes but we could see the chaos at the other entrances. Doors were meant to open at 5pm but didn’t open until much later. On Wednesday we were block 101 but had learnt from the previous night and decided not to gain entry until much later and the queues had died down a bit. Entry for us, personally on both nights went smoothly but Tuesday night there was definitely a sense of unease and frustration in the air because no one seemed to know what was going on.
Whilst in the VIP lounge on Tuesday I received a text from a friend to say that BigHit had announced that Jungkook had been injured during the preparations for the show so would not be able to perform. There were tears from lots of ARMY but the main focus was on Jungkook… was he okay? Was he hurt? Would he be on stage at all? Were the other members okay? Lots of questions but no answers at that time.
Once in the actual arena it was so refreshing on both nights to have the exclusion of a supporting act. BTS MV’s were played on the big screens which was the best way to warm up the crowd. ARMY sang, danced and chanted with lots of screams when each member showed on the screen or a favourite MV played. The atmosphere on both nights before the show started was great but Tuesday was slightly strained. There was an announcement by the O2 to tell us about the injury to Jungkook but the news that he would be able to be on stage was welcomed with huge cheers. The atmosphere was tense as the time went on past 8pm and still no sign of the show starting. For our group, the anxiety was worrying about the members and how they were feeling. Wednesday’s announcement was met with the same cheers and concern but because most ARMY had seen fancams from the Tuesday night they knew what to expect which definitely made for a more relaxed atmosphere.
At 8.30pm on Tuesday and 8pm on Wednesday, the moment arrived… the lights went off and the VCR started. My heart was pounding and every emotion that had been building up came flooding out in the form of sobbing and tears. The pyrotechnics were amazing and the stage floor had a rectangular hole in it which I literally could not take my eyes off because I knew that in seconds, BTS themselves would arise through that hole. Every part of me was shaking, my Daughter and nieces on the Tuesday were screaming and crying, the BTS symbols on the stage started moving and with more pyrotechnics, IDOL started and there they were!
The atmosphere was crazy! ARMY bombs lit up the arena and everyone was either crying, screaming, cheering or all three. One of the first things I did once I composed myself enough was to look for Jungkook as I could only see 6 dancing. I was blown away by the military style costumes which brought back very fond memories of my ultimate idol, Michael Jackson. I could see Jungkook who was sitting on a chair and my heart broke for him.
Once IDOL had finished, RM spoke and said that Jungkooks injury wasn’t too serious so he would be able to take part on stage, which pleased the crowd immensely. J-Hope was his usual amazing, bubbly self who introduced himself in only the way that J-Hope can…
“I’m your hope… You’re my hope… I’m J…..” and 20,000 people finished it for him.
After the introductions on both nights, the set list was the same until the medley. Save Me, I’m Fine and Magic Shop followed by a visually stunning VCR for J-Hope and Jungkook. Nothing could have prepared me for J-Hope’s ‘Just dance’ performance. His suit, footwear, vocals and dance routine were simply breath taking. He commanded the stage and the energy he gave off was astounding. Without a doubt one of my favourite performances of both nights. Then it was Jungkook’s turn.
He appeared on stage sat in a chair surrounded by blue lights and his vocals for Euphoria were simply angelic. On Wednesday the difference between the two nights was apparent because Jungkook appeared to enjoy it more, removing his earpiece to hear ARMY sing and giving a smile. The fact he was in a chair did not detract from the performance at all. For me personally, Euphoria is one of my absolute favourites so I was highly emotional throughout both nights. I was just incredibly thankful that the injury to Jungkooks foot was not enough to remove him from the concerts altogether.
The setlist continued with ‘I Need You’ and ‘Run’ followed by a VCR focussed on Jimin and RM. My daughter, whose bias is Jimin, completely fell apart as soon as Serendipity started, It really was a beautiful, elegant performance. Jimin’s black, sparkly costume and the bubbles, combined with his dance routine and vocals made this a wonderful, emotionally charged performance. In contrast to this but as equally fantastic was RM’s ‘Love’ performance. He was full of energy and came out wearing black leather trousers and a long striped overshirt. He commanded the stage and often went down to look directly into the camera which showed up on the big screens and was met with screams from the crowd. Towards the end of RM’s performance, he was joined on stage by the others in preparation for ‘DNA’. Jungkook had a chair positioned at the end of the stage for this which was fantastic. During DNA, V made everyone laugh and cheer when he bobbed up twice so Jungkook was represented in the line. This was so endearing and throughout the concert there was usually one member making contact with Jungkook so he wasn’t alone.
The medley of older songs was utterly fantastic. Tuesday we were treated to Boyz with Fun, Attack on Bangtan, Fire, Silver Spoon and Dope. On Wednesday we got Dope, Go Go, Blood Sweat and Tears, Boy in Luv and Fire. On both nights the party atmosphere was really hyped and electric at times both on stage and off.
Airplane pt.2 was the song before the next VCR which was V focussed, followed by V’s performance of ‘Singularity’ which was nothing short of mesmerising. I was both spellbound and highly emotional at the same time because I simply could not believe my bias was right in front of me. Tuesday and Wednesday, sat in completely different sections of the O2, I struggled to contain myself at what was an enchanting performance. V’s dance moves, costume, facial expressions and that voice! Just wow!
All 7 members came out to perform the rocking vibe mix of ‘Fake Love’ which was fantastic, with them all dressed in black, before the next VCR. This VCR was focussed on Suga and Jin. Suga appeared on stage laying on a couch for his performance of ‘Seesaw’ which was met with screams particularly from my daughter and nieces who all have this Trivia as their favourite. Suga’s performance was both adorable and hot at the same time. His glances that were broadcast on the big screens were instantly picked up on by the crowd who definitely showed their appreciation. Suga looked so relaxed and in control on stage and we all danced and sang along, with him. Jin’s Epiphany was on another level! The whole stage set up was stunning. Jin started by playing the piano and that combined with fog, candle effects and amazing vocals just took the roof off. The whole crowd sang with him and it really was an emotional moment on both nights. My youngest niece in particular on Tuesday was beside herself because seeing her bias perform was all a bit much. A truly beautiful song and performance.
After the performance of ‘The Truth Untold’ which was simply stunning in every sense of the word, the concert became one giant party. ‘Mic Drop’, ‘So What’ and ‘Anpanman’ had everyone dancing. Jungkook was not on stage at all for Mic Drop on both nights which definitely added a little tension to the atmosphere but because ARMY were genuinely worried about him. ‘So What’ was just emphatic! It was during this song that it dawned on me… we were partying ‘with’ BTS. It didn’t feel like I was watching a show. It felt like we were all having a great time together and that is down to the fact that the BTS members interacted so much with the crowd, whether it be by speaking in between songs, stopping vocals to hear us sing or going to one of the cameras so their actions were broadcast onto the big screens.
Before ‘Answer: Love Myself’, the members each took it in turn to speak. Tuesday night was very very difficult due to the fact that Jungkook became highly emotional when talking. The crowd chanted his name and I wanted so desperately for him to feel the love and know that everything was okay. On Wednesday night Jungkook spoke of feeling shame and the crowds reaction was fantastic, once again chanting his name until he smiled. There was so much love and humour in the things they said and I found myself laughing one minute, crying the next but smiling lots. I hadn’t realised how strained the atmosphere was on Tuesday night until Wednesday. The members were so much more relaxed on Wednesday and appeared more confident overall. The crowd were also more relaxed and in a party mood on Wednesday.
I left the O2 Wednesday night with so many personal memories and feelings. My daughter had two of the most amazing nights of her life and memories that will stay with her forever. I have been to many concerts in my lifetime and these two nights were phenomenal. I loved every second and would do it all again in a heartbeat. The stage set up, pyrotechnics, VCR’s only aided what was a magnificent show performed by 7 of the most talented people on the planet.


You can follow Michayla on Twitter: @mum23ks


If you liked this article and have any ideas or would like to contribute an article yourself why not contact us?

Twitter: @BTSRadioUK

or email us at btsradiouk@gmail.com

Comments

  1. Great article!! Took me straight back to my own experience at the Wednesday performance. Amazing evening that I never thought I would see. Already looking forward to seeing them again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts