Spotify Special - Path to Persona pt. 2

The Path to Persona pt 2 by BTS

We are in the final days before the release of Map of the Soul: Persona so here is part 2 of our comeback special. The second part of our playlist starts with Wings and goes all the way to Mono with so many amazing songs in between.

Do you have a favourite amongst this fantastic selection? Let us know @BTSRadioUK

Uhgood – Eve


When Mono was released I was hooked from the first note of Tokyo, it was such a different musical direction than what we were used to from RM.
A story of realising your loneliness, your limitations, your weaknesses all the parts of ourselves we hide because we think it’s something to be ashamed of, that people will use our weaknesses against us and then waking up to the idea that whatever you think is holding you back, you can use and embrace to find who you are and how to be comfortable in your own skin.
The whole album felt like a window to RM, a way to understand him better and to understand ourselves better.
I love the whole production of Uhgood with the electronic sounds in the background creating the mood from the first opening notes.
How he mixes his style of singing and talking and layers his voice to create the different moods through the song.
This is my reflecting song, I sit and listen to this (and the whole album) when my mind gets too busy, RM’s soothing notes just get me to stop and breath.
In this particular song RM picks out the things he finds himself self-critiquing;
"Do you only amount to this?" (do you only amount to this?)
"Need to do so much better" (need to do so much better)
"You need to be so much cooler" (you need to be so much cooler)
"If you're going to be defeated, might as well die" (if you're going to be defeated, might as well die)
"You have to win, you, you, you"
"You"
The self-destructive thoughts we all have at some point are pointed out, but he goes onto say he still wants to find himself and reach his true self;
But I'm sorry, I can't give up on myself
The me who I know, can't let me go
In my head, you're so flawless
So complete


Trivia: Love - Charlie
When Namjoon talked about the release of Love Yourself: Answer, he said that in writing his solo ‘Trivia: Love’, he wanted it to be the type of song that audiences would loudly sing along to at concerts. And, as can be seen from his dimpley smile when performing this to ARMY and hearing their calls of “sarang, sarang, sarang”, he succeeded. From when I first hear the piano chords at the start of the song, I’m ready to sing and sway along. Hearing this song performed live made me yell along to make sure he could hear ARMY’s love for this song. The way he talked about it on his Love Yourself: Answer - Behind The Album Vlive, and the confident and happy aura he exudes when performing this, show just how passionate he is about this solo.
Namjoon has a way of creating songs that make me instantly feel like I’ve known them for ages, so I feel nostalgic for them. This of course is true for this song. Its catchy chorus was something that I fell in love with at first listen, and it is perfect to chant along to, even for non-Korean listeners, an example of ARMY speaking different languages still being united by this beautiful message about love.
“I'm just a human, human, human
You erode all my corners
And make me into love, love, love
We're humans, humans, humans
In that myriad of straight lines”
Namjoon’s love of words comes through in this song. It is inspired by how, in Korean, the word for person is ‘saram’ (사람), and the word for love is ‘sarang’ (사랑). Namjoon noticed that the consonant at the end of ‘sarang’ is a rounder, softer version of the one at the end of ‘saram’, meaning that love can ‘soften someone’s edges’ and change a person into love. He continues to play with words by saying that the words for ‘mine’ (‘nae’) and ‘yours’ (‘ne’) also sound the same.
“Look, mine and yours also sound the same
Though that doesn't make me you
I want to be part of your bookcase
I'd like to be involved in your novel
As a lover”
Words aside, the instrumental is also very calming, with pretty background vocals from June (Planetarium Records) and Adora (BigHit producer). It’s a heartfelt song that reflects its dreamy lyrics about living in order to love. It sounds simple yet meticulous, and Namjoon’s vocals are comforting as ever. It’s a perfectly Namjoon-like song.
Source: You Tube
You Never Walk Alone - Sadie
You Never Walk Alone is a repackaged version of Wings and was released on the 13th February 2017. This is an amazing album and usually one of people’s favourite albums and eras.
You Never Walk Alone (YNWA) is one of my favourite songs on the album. It’s a delicate and soft song with its uplifting beat and lyrics. I love the transitions in this track and how well it all blends together. It’s one of those songs that makes you smile from ear to ear and makes you feel like spinning around. It honestly sparks sheer happiness in me and I just adore it.

“Hey, why does God always
Make us feel lonely
Oh no no no no no no
Yeah, even if we're covered in scars
We can smile if we’re together

At the end of this road you walk alone
Will you step on it, whatever there may be
Sometimes we may get tired or sick
That’s okay, I am by your side
If you and I are together
We can smile”

The lyrics are so positive and uplifting and can instantly make you feel better. It’s a song about finding strength in each other and how we can get through anything if we are by each others side. It’s a song that connects us all and brings ARMY and BTS together.

“I want to fly though I have no wings
But your hands become my wings
I want to forget the dark and lonely things
Together with you

These wings sprouted from my pain
But these wings are going towards the light
Even if it's tiring and painful, I will fly if I can
Will you hold my hand
So that I won’t be afraid anymore?
If you and I are together
I can smile”
Source: BigHit
BTS have often called ARMY their wings and it’s a sentiment close to all our hearts, because it’s a feeling that is mutual. BTS have helped all of us individually, in many different ways and its exactly the same for them. We are each others support system, each others best friends, each others family. It’s songs and lyrics like this that connect us all and really make us feel like we’re part of something bigger.

“I want to fly though I have no wings
But your hands become my wings
I want to forget the dark and lonely things
Together with you

These wings sprouted from my pain
But these wings are going towards the light
Even if it's tiring and painful, I will fly if I can
Will you hold my hand
So that I won’t be afraid anymore?
If you and I are together
I can smile”

YNWA is a powerful track that unites us all. This song says that even though we each have our own hardships and pain to deal with, when we are together all of the struggles fade away, and we can finally smile.
“Ayy I never walk alone
I can feel the warmth in your hand that I’m holding
Ayy you never walk alone
Feel me, you're not alone either”
Source: YouTube
Not Today – Michayla
‘Not Today’ is a single on the repackaged album ‘You Never Walk Alone’ from 2017 and when the MV was released it racked up over 10 million view in 24 hours. The song is high energy with fantastic choreography and iconic outfits that are somewhat similar to the ‘Mic Drop’ era clothing.
Picture Credit: Billboard
The message behind ‘Not Today’ as you would expect, is a strong one, encouraging people to stand up against the establishment. Namjoon (RM) starts the song, telling underdogs to rise up and fight, that there might come a time when you do not succeed but that day is not today:


‘Not Today’ is inspiring throughout, with individual lines from the rap-line’s verses really standing out, spreading the message to deal with the present, fight today, because today you can win the battle:
Yoongi (Suga)
‘Flowers wither eventually
But no, not today
Today is not that day’

Namjoon (RM)
‘We won’t ever die today
Light shines through the darkness
It wants a new world and you’

Hobi (J-Hope)
‘We couldn’t fail
Because we believed in each other
What you say yeah
Not today yeah
We will never die today yeah’
There are so many great lyrics in this song that encourage people to rally together and draw strength from one another, but also the message that you can always find a way to win the battle. It doesn’t matter if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again and keep trying, keep finding ways around the obstacles placed before you. I feel this message is so important, not just for the younger generation but for every generation because we have all had times in our lives when everything gets too much and you have to sit back and reevaluate the situation.
‘If you can’t fly, then run
Today we will survive
If you can’t run, then walk
Today we will survive
If you can’t walk, then crawl
Even if you have to crawl, gear up
Aim your gun! Ready! Fire!’
The MV has a military, anti establishment feel to it with BTS appearing alongside a group of ninja inspired dancers who throw part of their clothing into the air, part way through the song, like they have ‘broken free’. The choreography is pretty intense and fast with the 7 members running away from gun fire and dancing on a giant reflective circle, against several backdrops.
‘Not Today’ is such a great motivational song on its own but that feeling is heightened when you watch the MV. I challenge you to feel anything other than motivated and ready to tackle life once you have listened to ‘Not Today’.
Source: ibighit (YouTube)

You can hear this playlist at the following link on Spotify: The Path to Persona pt 2 by BTS



Comments

Popular Posts