Spotify - Jin Playlist


Jin - A Playlist

Welcome to the first in our 7 part series of playlists that represent each member of Bangtan. We are starting with Mr Worldwide Handsome himself, Seokjin and these are the songs that we think represent him best.

Do you have any suggestions for future themes? Let us know on Twitter @BTSRadioUK

Boy In Luv chosen by ARMY

Charlie - The Boy in Luv era treated us to a rebellious side of BTS. We gasped as we saw Jin push the girl from the music video into the locker, and felt for him as we saw him apologise to her in the behind-the-scenes video. His confident glares in that schoolboy outfit was a wonderful look, but it wasn’t just his visuals that impressed - the deep nasal quality to his voice stands out to me and adds to the bad-boy feel of the song. 

Michayla - Boy In Luv is a special song to me because it is my daughters favourite BTS song and it reminds me of her. When I think ‘Boy In Luv’ I think of that moment in the MV when Jin pushes that girl into the lockers then takes her by the arm, down the corridor to Jungkook. 2014 brought us the edgy look and Jin looks amazing with the way his hair is styled and the black eyeliner. His voice stands out, always and Boy in Luv is certainly not an exception.

Onomey - When listening to 'Boy in Luv' I noticed that Jin's vocals seem to suit the rock vibe more than the other vocalist, like in the pre-chorus, because of the tone of his voice which is probably why, when researching, I found that he got a lot more lines than he does in other songs.

'I'm getting nervous, I'm getting nervous
Who are you? Are you that great?
Why do you keep teasing me? 
Just stop now, hold up, hold up'.

As soon as I hear this song, it makes me want to grab my guitar and jam along with it. I love this song because it's a love story but still has the instrumentation to support the bad boy school attitude to go with it, which I find very clever. Jin does a very good job in the music video of combining the two which is why this song makes me think of him every time I hear it.

'I want to be your oppa
Why don't you know my heart for you?
Even if you ignore me
Even if you act cold
I can't push you out of my mind
I want to be your oppa 
I will be your man just watch
So that my heart can touch yours
I will run to you right now'.

Eve - This song has us firmly in mean and moody Jin territory, his voice strong and gravelly adding to the whole concept of the music video.  A boy in love but not feeling the love in return and what he will do to get the girls attention. 
The song is classic BTS rapping, with a melody that the vocal team can power over with added guitars and a strong addictive beat.
The infamous locker scene is one of the Jin moments that is never forgotten.

Source: 1theK 

Dionysis - Charlie

We all know that Kim Seokjin is the King of powerful ballads and emotional high notes. However, for a playlist celebrating Jin’s talents, it seems fitting that we take a moment to admire his versatility. This is why I wish to look at Dionysus, a rock-hip-hop song from the Map of the Soul: Persona album that is about over-drinking and getting drunk off the art that is their music. 

“Drink, drink, drink, drink up my glass ay
Everyone fallin', fallin', fallin' into this crazy artist”

We have seen how Jin does not like doing what the company says and would gladly drink on air if he wanted to, so to me Dionysus is a very fittingly mature sound for the BTS of today. It is a drinking anthem, and it easily gets me hyped up whenever I listen to it, especially because of the energy and stage presence the members bring whenever they perform this live. The chorus is addictive and there is a pleasing amount of centre time for Jin.

When I first heard this song, I have to admit that I assumed that an advert for another artist had just started playing in the middle of the album or something, because this did not strike me as a BTS song. The guitar sounds that kick the sound off are so unique compared to BTS’ usual sound that once the penny dropped that this was in fact Dionysus, I realised that this was going to be one of my favourite songs from the album. Rock was the main gene I listened to before I got into Kpop and BTS, so to hear BTS experiment with this genre that is so different from their usual sound - and still sound absolutely incredible - was a treat for me. It demonstrated to me that they could dip into any genre and produce a brilliant song, just as how Jin shone in a rock hip-hop song even when he typically shines in ballads. 

This song allows Jin to flaunt both his high and low notes (when I saw the live stage, I was shocked that those lower notes were in fact performed by Jin), and the song ends with him screaming into the microphone as the guitar sounds halt to a stop worthy of a mic drop. And thus was the birth of “Rock Jin”, a new side of Jin that I hope we see again. 

Source: MNet 

Best of Me - Cheryl

I have heard this song like a million times but it was only when I chose to write about it that I noticed - there is no introduction - nothing, not a single note!

It is straight in with Jimin singing “When you say that you love me, I walk above the clouds”.  The verse just seems to build and build with more meaning and emotion then the hook of the chorus just triggers something within me.  It is very bouncy (not technical I know) but it just makes me want to dance, jump and prance about - whether it’s at home in the kitchen, in the car (more tricky) and definitely at a concert.

To me the song is about giving your best to someone one who may not even be aware that’s how you feel, or unaware of how strongly you feel about them and not wanting them to leave you.  

I find it to be a passionate song, wearing your heart on your sleeve and showing your vulnerability which is mentioned throughout the song but particularly in the chorus and with Jin’s words “You’re like the whole world to me. Hug me tighter and more painfully”. I just imagine a very passionate bear hug experience - feeling secure and at peace in the embrace, but the hug building until the breath is squeezed out of you.

All their voices sound very strong and are heard very clearly over a sweet melodic backing track.  I found at times that their harmonies sounded like they were the actual backing track and it was only upon listening really carefully that I could hear the backing track in the distant background.

When they sing “You’ve got the best of me, So please just don’t leave me” this sets my mind wandering - do they mean “Army” or a special someone (of course Army are very special).  Could it even be each other? Who ever it is - could they really leave them? I don’t think I can!

Source: BANGTANTV 

The Truth Untold - Michayla

Firstly, this is one of the most beautiful songs I think I have ever heard, and from the second I heard it, it became one of my firm favourites, only to be further concreted in place once I had seen it performed live at the O2 in October 2018.

To say the vocal line does this song justice, does not even begin to cover it. Each one of the 4 vocalists, sings their lines with so much emotion and passion that it is a challenge to not get swept away by it.

This week’s theme, however, is ‘Jin’ and what a song to showcase his amazing vocals! When BTS perform this live, it usually follows ‘Epiphany’ so you literally have no time at all to recover from the wonderful vocal talent of Kim Seokjin, our own Mr Worldwide Handsome.

The Truth Untold is the 3rd track on the album ‘Love Yourself: Her’ and is about the man who wants so much to show his true self to a girl but fears he is a monster so hides himself. It references the story ‘La Citta di Smeraldo’ where a man believes he is so hideously ugly that he isolates himself within a castle and finds peace only when tending to the flowers in the garden. He begins to change when a girl steals flowers from the garden and he desperately wants to show himself to her but his intense fear surrounding his appearance, prevents it.

I wanted to give it to you
After I take off this foolish mask’

It is Jin’s third verse that takes this song to a whole new level because of the power in his voice and it gives me goosebumps the way he holds his notes. Sadly, in the story, by the time the man finds the courage to find the girl, she has died and he is left to question whether he could have saved her.


Many of us are held back in certain situations in our lives when we may not have the courage to act as we would like. The Truth Untold is the sad story of the consequences of allowing your fears to hold you back which is something BTS have pushed through since their debut. They have faced negativity and also their own fears about not making it but they have always followed their dreams which is why they are where they are today. They gain strength from each other and from ARMY to continue putting themselves out there and have shown tremendous courage in doing so.

The next time you listen to ‘The Truth Untold’ listen out for Jin’s last verse because it really is spine tingling especially once you understand the story behind the lyrics.

Source: YouTube 
Love Is Not Over - Eve

This week the focus of the playlist is songs that make us think of Jin.  Jin may not have many lines in this song, but the impact he makes throughout for me is unmistakable, you can instantly recognise his sweet and strong tones throughout the song.

The song is beautiful and full of BTS signature sentiments that everyone can identify with at least once in their lives.

A song about losing love, it’s full of emotion and feeling;

‘Why are you getting farther away?
So far that I can’t reach you?
Tell me why, you’re so far away, why
Can’t you see me in your eyes anymore?’

The whole group have amazing voices that really take the listener on a journey.

This song makes me think of Jin because he would have made a gorgeous music video with his well-practiced Mr Worldwide handsome stares to the camera.

Love is not over is from the album; The Most Beautiful Moments in Life: Young Forever, an album of self-discovery as a young person in a fast paced world, emotions always changing and moving.

Source: ibighit 
Fake Love - Onomey
Fake Love was released on May 18th 2018 and was part of the Love Yourself: Tear album, as well as the Love Yourself: Answer album. 

Jin in ‘Fake Love’ makes me smile because it is a song that highlights how much he has grown in all areas since BTS made their debut. He had more lines, more screen time in the music video, as well as more time, being front and centre during some parts of the choreography. 

The song in itself is hauntingly beautiful, and by that, I mean that the lyrics of the song are dark and upsetting but the way the vocals are delivered makes the song beautiful. The pre-chorus lyrics are a prime example of the phrase hauntingly beautiful. 

‘For you, I could pretend like I was happy when I was sad
For you, I could pretend like I was strong when I was hurt 
I wish love was perfect as love itself 
I wish all my weaknesses could be hidden
I grew flower that can't be bloomed in a dream that can't come true'.

This song makes you think about when you have a moment of realisation that you're no longer the person that you set out to be and that wanting to be in love has made you forget about everything you know because if the love was real and valued, then you would still be able to look yourself in the mirror and notice the person staring back at yourself.

'I wanna be a good man, just for you
I gave the world, just for you
I changed everything, just for you
But I don't know me, who are you?
The forest is just for us, you weren't there 
The route I took, forgot 
I even became quite unsure of who I was
Try babbling into the mirror, who the hell are you?'

Source: ibighit 


To appreciate his wonderful vocals follow this Spotify link: Jin - A Playlist 

Comments

Popular Posts