Bring The Soul: Review - Shufei Chen ๐Ÿ’œ


Bring the Soul: The Movie
‘I Love You, More Than Yesterday, But Less Than I’ll Love You Tomorrow’

By

Shufei Chen

As we are all aware, BTS released the long-awaited for movie- Bring the Soul and with limited screenings tickets were hard to get. Originally, I had planned to see it in Manchester but with a few slight placement issues, I went to see it at Preston- and the experience was unforgettable. Although, the screening started later than said, due to a few technical issues, I was still able to see it. The after effects though, were predictable perhaps but for me, it was mainly a blur.

The review coming up is slightly different than all the others as I talk you through my thoughts and feelings after watching the movie.

Coming out of the movie theatre the first thing I said was ‘I have no clue what I just watched’ and that’s not because I didn’t pay attention - in fact I was immersed, but because the movie hit me a lot harder than I had expected and that in itself meant that I had forgotten what I watched; well that and countless tears that I shed!

From what I could remember I noted down and I talked to one my good friends about what I thought. In all honesty, the tears that appeared and trickled down my face were for reasons that were hard to explain. I didn’t cry because it was sad, like I did with Burn the Stage, I cried because I felt like this was the realest of the real. I felt like this movie was the most open and honest they had been with us and it was whole different vibe from Burn the Stage. Through watching it, the honesty, the reality of their daily lives hit me and I realised the amount of sacrifice they had to make to pursue their dream. To me, I wondered if, for them, it was worth it.

But for me, as a fan, I felt like I was disappointing them. Watching them work so hard and hearing about their hopes and dreams; what they hoped to achieve and how they wanted to help us, in that moment, I felt like maybe we are just taking them for granted and that I don’t cherish them enough or know the actual importance to them in our lives. Of course, they have helped the majority of us through some of our most difficult times at some point but I feel that the actual impact BTS want to have on us, we don’t yet understand or feel. It made me feel guilty because what they do for us and give to us could never be compared to what we do for them - because theirs is so much greater.

๐Ÿ’œ

However, the moment that hit me harder than I had ever been hit before was the ending. With the words from the no other Kim Namjoon. Now the words I don’t remember exactly but I remembered how I interpreted what he was going to tell us. He started off by saying that he wasn’t sure exactly what it is he wants to achieve or if he’s achieving anything with Love Yourself. He went on to explain why. Saying that the word ‘Love’ is something that we grow hearing about and we grow up thinking is important. But at the same time as we grow, we become reliant on ‘Love’ to make us happy and we end up not knowing the meaning of it anymore because we use it so often. He went on to using his name as an analogy. He said that ‘Love’ is kind of like his name Kim Namjoon, if he says his name enough times it becomes awkward to say because it just ends up a meaningless word and he hoped that one day he would feel comfortable saying his name multiple times because then it would mean that he knows the meaning of his own name.

Listening to this speech made me think hard about what they were trying to tell us through Love Yourself. Perhaps, what BTS wants to achieve through Love Yourself isn’t the idea of us physically loving ourselves but for us all to find our own definition of ‘Love’ as we all have our own form of love like we all have our own name. Maybe that’s their ultimate goal.

When the movie ended, and the credits came on, so did the lights, and the tears of the others in the theatre gradually stopped, but for me, I cried and cried and cried. I didn’t stop - I couldn’t stop. Why? Because the ending made me realise so many things and I learnt so many things. All the memories I had of all the good times and happy times came flashing back and I realised that in my subconscious, every time I took a step to change who I am or to learn to open up and love, I did it because BTS taught me; to this day, BTS are still teaching me. The tears didn’t fall in the first place because of some the sad scenes that appeared but they fell because in those moments, they were the moments when my mind and my heart clicked and worked together - they were the moments when I learned, I hurt, I smiled, but most importantly, I grew as a person.

Overall, reflecting upon the movie as a whole, I think that it is safe to say we all went on a journey with BTS and in that journey we learned to love and laugh, but we also had moments when we hurt and cried; and that’s also okay. Life is full of the ups and downs but one thing that I took away on this day is to embrace each thing, whether it’s an up or a down because each of these things frame who you are as a person and the life you end up living.

I Love You, More Than Yesterday, But Less Than I’ll Love You Tomorrow’

These words know that you should say them to yourself more than anyone else. Don’t just look at it as something BTS is saying to you, but look at it as something that you should always say to yourself.

‘Love Yourself More Than Yesterday, But Less Than Tomorrow’


We hope you enjoyed this review, what did you think when you watched the movie? Why not leave us a comment below, or if you'd like to be a guest contributor to our blog you can email us at shinara.btsradiouk@gmail.com

Alternatively you can find us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram: @BTSRadioUK

Comments

Popular Posts