Connect, BTS - Berlin


CONNECT in BERLIN

by

Stefanie Mattern

I remember coming home after a stressful day at work and picking up the kids from daycare when I got the BigHit notification with the comeback map. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read Connect, BTS: Berlin. Seeing my home country appear on a BTS schedule felt surreal. However, being a 9 month old “Baby Army”, I had no idea what it meant but I knew I had to be a part of it.


It wasn’t much longer until BTS filled us in on yet another one of their brilliant ideas. On Jan 8, 2020, Connect, BTS was revealed as a project to present artists from all around the world with the opportunity to showcase their talent and let people from outside and within the fandom experience the beauty and impact of different forms of art.


When I told my husband about Connect, BTS, he was confused at first, wondering how that had anything to do with their new album coming out. The more I filled him in on the concept of uniting artists worldwide for a greater good, he was intrigued. So when I asked him if we wanted to make a trip to Berlin to visit the exhibit Rituals of Care at Gropius Bau, he agreed.


Two weeks later we’re in the car on our way to Berlin, not knowing what to expect yet excited to figure it out together. No kids, no housework, just the two of us. It felt like going on a little adventure that would distract us from our everyday struggles, giving us some room to breathe and some time to ourselves.


It was a rainy day which played in our favor since it wasn’t too crowded. So when we walked into Gropius Bau, an architectural masterpiece, we were greeted by a mysterious sound installation catching our attention and drawing us right to the Atrium. Walking up the stairs the only thing hinting the engagement of BTS was an information board, giving visitors insight into the work of the exhibit Rituals of Care. BTS was only mentioned in the title Connect BTS, no additional bio or pictures. They really made sure to focus on the artists rather than making it part of a promotion strategy.


As soon as we entered through the glass doors into the light flooded Atrium, I felt a shiver covering my entire body. The gloomy acoustics in combination with the light hitting through the glass ceiling immediately pulled me in. Two dancers immersed in their movements putting their heart and soul into a performance unlike anything I’ve ever seen. You could feel the audience being fascinated. No cell phones, no whispering, just pure admiration for two passionate dancers being one with music.

Glancing through the crowd, I noticed a more experienced audience, which seemed to be intrigued by the pure talent of those performers. But I also spotted a lot of very young visitors, with some BT21 keychains here and there, who were just as captivated by the performance. Once we left the Gropius Bau, I even overheard a young Army say: Wow, I’ve never seen something like this before.


Throughout the entire visit of the Gropius Bau, I felt my heart filling more and more with pride and love.
Pride for what BTS has accomplished with this project, not only giving local artists a platform to express themselves amongst a wide and diverse crowd of people, but also  managing to make it about art in all its shapes and forms rather than mistreating it as a promotion stunt. 
And love for these seven men who have accomplished so much, always striving for more, not being afraid to try something new and different, opening people’s eyes and minds without losing grip of their roots and always in touch with their fans, with ARMY.


My visit to Connect, BTS may seem like just another museum visit, but for me it was so much more. An opportunity to be spontaneous. A reason to get away from my typical everyday life. A time to bond with my husband. And last but not least a confirmation of my love for 7 incredible men from South Korea who made all of this possible. For that I’m so grateful. Thank you BTS and thank you Gropius Bau for bringing Connect, BTS to Berlin.


Photo's courtesy of Stefanie Mattern


@wreckedbyOT8



Comments

Popular Posts