Connect, BTS - New York


CONNECT in NEW YORK

by

Shona Thomson

When I found out I’d be in New York when the Connect, BTS exhibit, New York Clearing by Anthony Gormley, opened in Brooklyn Bridge Park, I knew I had to go. I’ve been an ARMY for two and a half years now and BTS were my introduction to Kpop. They are responsible for many positive influences in my life and it’s thanks to them that I’ve been exposed to a whole new culture, language, world of music and entertainment, and now, art.

I’d of course heard about the Connect project when it was announced and I thought it was a fascinating idea and a great way to set the tone of this comeback: BTS as more than ‘just’ a boyband; BTS as a cultural movement and a unique global connection. I also loved the concept of bringing art to a wider audience and the idea of BTS interviewing each participating artist.

Macintosh HD:Users:shonathomson:Downloads:Connect_bts_pics:20200205_133224.jpg

I had hoped to visit the exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery in London as I’ll be in London late in March, but sadly the exhibit will have ended by then and I probably won’t be making a special trip for it. So on the morning of 5th February my fiancé and I headed over to Pier 3 on the ferry. We could see the sculpture on the shoreline as we approached over the water; it stood out, glistening silver and cold, against the grey buildings.

As we walked up to the sculpture, we saw a few people with BT21 plushies on their bags. I felt excited knowing that we were all here for the same reason, as if we were privy to a well kept secret, but it was open for anyone to discover. There were no signs or information about the project that I could see, which was a shame, as it would have helped introduce it to the public. The sculpture was bigger than I expected and moved around in the wind and where people were clambering over and through it. We took a few photos and looked out at the Manhattan skyline from various angles, as I’d read that that was the artist’s intention; to see and interact with your environment from different viewpoints. 

Macintosh HD:Users:shonathomson:Downloads:Connect_bts_pics:20200205_133858.jpg

Then I downloaded the app to view the AR Docents – gotta use up that roaming data! – and, once we figured out that we had to stand back from the sculpture, we could view the AR videos of RM, Hobi and Taehyung telling us about the sculpture. I loved that, it was such a nice touch to have some of the members giving context to the art (even though my bias, Yoongi, wasn’t featured). The only thing I felt was missing would be a sign with some information about the project and the app, so that non-ARMYs will be able to gain some context.

Macintosh HD:Users:shonathomson:Downloads:Connect_bts_pics:2020-02-05_134811.jpg

As someone with only a passing interest in art, Connect, BTS to me is a fun way to explore a new field, feel connected with others and a part of something big, and appreciate the Map of the Soul from another angle as the comeback hype builds. You could interpret the art any way you like or just see it as a reason to get out and about, explore your city and meet other ARMY. I really feel privileged to be a part of something special and would encourage anyone to visit whatever exhibits they can while the project is ongoing.  Plus, this one is free, so if you’re in the area, there’s no reason to miss it. I know that Namjoon would agree!

Macintosh HD:Users:shonathomson:Downloads:Connect_bts_pics:20200205_133520.jpg


Photo's courtesy of Shona Thomson

You can follow Shona on Twitter and Instgram @yoongi27001





Comments

Popular Posts