Butter - A 100/10 Summer song


by


Lisa Fenton


Ah yes Butter. Where to begin with Butter.


No one really knew what to expect. Some of my friends joked “What if the song is a McDonalds ad.” The timing was right, and hearing it was to be a summer song with no deeper meaning, it could have fit? When the Teaser dropped, I thought two things: OMG Queen and OMG what if the McDonalds Menu consists of buttered pancakes?


Of course, I also thought LOOK AT THEM, but this is an Army standard is it not? The MV dropped in the early hours before work, but I was up and ready. It needed a few seconds for me to register this was happening on screen and musically. Part of me needs to get used to the new intro, part of me was still tired, so a few things were a blur, but that is also normal when watching an MV for the first time.

Some moments did stand out even then, like when Jin said “When I look in the mirror, I melt your heart into two”. It made me giggle a bunch, given he keeps going on about his worldwide handsome face (for good reason). I could not help but imagine him passing a mirror and melting his own heart. It felt very much on brand.

President Jimin taking us to the Gym scene where everything went so colourful, including their hair?! It reminded me a little bit of Anime Cosplay. Imagine… BTS starring in a live action version of something like this. Instant watch!

When we see everyone in the elevator shortly after, I felt being hypnotised a little… or a lot. Come to the Butter Side, we have Bangtan! If I wasn’t ARMY already, I feel this would have convinced me. Special shout out to Tae’s perfume move, and Yoongi’s swag…hello?

Everything was just so bright and happy as soon as the colour started flooding in (even before that somehow). A true summer song indeed! 



Of course, the next memorable moment of that first watch was Namjoon shouting out Army, with the others forming each letter, which as we saw is part of the choreography?! My heart combusted. Of course, we already know they love us, they mention it in interviews, we have our songs, but this was a whole spelled out nudge in an English song, made for the masses! Did I mention my heart combusted? Because it did... big time. Later other ARMY pointed out that JK kissed his ARMY Tattoo... I might combust again!



In the end I thought wow, this must be the part where the crowd can go wild with the Fanchant! I do hope they will get to perform in front of people soon (when it is safe), it would be so amazing!


Part of me does not want to mention the Butter eating, but man… kudos to Hobi, especially if that was real Butter. All in all, I was amazed and excited, continued to watch the video a bunch of times and started streaming, as you do.



Being aware most of the lyrics were not written by BTS and had no deeper meaning (although bet Namjoon did that N-ice guy and Army shoutout), I tried not to get myself into theory mode, but I couldn’t help but feel this to be a happier, cheekier, more English version of Pied Piper. BTS knowing the effect they have, being playful with that, showing more; knowing ARMY will be there when they call… it just felt similar.



Not to mention they know how dangerous they are, look at them with their mug shots and handsome looks. No, seriously look! Check out the MV, even if you already have! Or put the song on when going outside, it will boost your mood, put a spring in your step, maybe even cause the sun to finally come out. A 100/10 Summer song, even for casual listeners.



Photo credits: HYBE LABELS








Comments

Popular Posts