Coldplay X BTS by Lozzawayne

Coldplay X BTS - it's their Universe and we're living in it!

by

Lozzawayne


Coldplay are synonymous with British pop culture. They're one of the great heralds the world has been lucky enough to encounter, first emerging on the wave of a post Britpop era. I've been a fan of them since 2000, when they released their track 'Yellow' from their debut album Parachutes. They fast became one of my favourite bands of all-time, guiding me through single digits, to teenhood and now to adulthood.


 

I’ve been an ARMY since 2016, discovering BTS through ‘Dope’ by a recommendation on YouTube. Following this, I was pushed down the rabbit hole quicker than I ever thought possible. BTS had given me an instant family, one that accepted me for me, and always surrounded me love and support. They changed my life.



Despite the 16-year gap in discovering them, I’ve found them to be similar in several ways. Coldplay, although legends in their own right, are sometimes the butt of the joke. Often ridiculed or belittled for their achievements, some say they “sold out” from their rock origins, to create the sound they are well known for today. BTS is often treated the same way. Although they are often mocked for leaving their “K-Pop” roots and hip-hop sound behind, no matter how high BTS climb, there will still be those that wish for their downfall. Yet, it is with maturity and growth that a change in sound occurs. To grow musically, is to grow as a person, something that collectively, both Coldplay and BTS have achieved beautifully. No matter how fast the tongues of antis wag, BTS and Coldplay should be proud of how far they’ve come.

 

Again, both groups draw similarity through their influence. Both boast a legion of fans, as they promote love, acceptance and being who you are; and unashamedly so. THAT is the most beautiful similarity I hold onto, because no matter what, music is one of the most unifying forces in this world. Finding people that create the very music that speaks to your soul, is something unique and awe-inspiring.





One of my all-time favourite Coldplay concert memories is getting barrier at Emirates Stadium for the 2012 leg of their Mylo Xyloto tour. They created a multicoloured sea of fans using wearable tech called “xylobands”. Debuted in 2012, on this same tour, Xylobands are radio-activated LED equipped wristbands, that in unison with other fans at a concert, create a rainbow of colours. 



 

Sounds familiar right? Again, another similarity! Even if you haven’t been to a BTS concert yet, you’re aware of how breathtakingly beautiful our oceans can be. Armed with our ARMY bombs, we can turn a dark, silent room into an uproar of vibrant colour. Truly ARMY is the best name for us. Thinking back to moments in Wembley Stadium and even in the legendary Seoul Olympic Stadium, I’m truly lucky to have been a part of such beautiful moments, with BTS and ARMY. 



When BTS performed ‘Fix You’ on MTV Unplugged, I will never forget how emotional I was. ‘Fix You’ is one of my all-time favourite Coldplay songs, a song that I’d always sing to myself and a song that also brought me to tears. Witnessing the seven people that I cherish most in this world sing it, it felt intimate and personal in a way that I feel I had never experienced through a TV screen before.


 

Sadly, this beautiful moment would not last long. Xenophobia and racism reared its ugly head, in the form of a DJ from Germany. As Coldplay was his favourite band (I wonder if that’s still true…), he called BTS’s cover “blasphemy” and likened the group to COVID-19. At a time where Asian hate and discrimination is so prevalent due to the pandemic, AND at a time when BTS have proved again and again that they are and deserve to be known as the greatest band in the world, this was a disgusting response. It’s still upsetting that both Coldplay and BTS emit and create so much love and acceptance, yet it seems no matter the amount, there will always be someone that tries to negate it all. 

 

Regardless, BTS’s cover of ‘Fix You’ created a whirlwind. The rumour mill started running. Coldplay started to be asked about BTS in interviews. BTS had often said how much they wanted to collaborate with Coldplay, a highlight of their interview at Wembley Stadium. Then, there was news of Coldplay’s new MV being shot in Seoul, followed shortly after Chris Martin travelling to Korea. Then we got that stunning interview for ‘Permission to Dance’. Could this really happen? Being a fan of Coldplay (or a Coldplayer) and an ARMY, I never imagined my worlds would ever mix. Sure, I’ve been lucky enough to be fans of Halsey, Nicki Minaj, Honne and Megan Thee Stallion before BTS collaborations ever became reality, but something about this collaboration felt different. Coldplay had guided me through my youth and held my hand during moments of glee and moments of heartbreak in equal amounts, just as BTS had and continue to do so. If this collaboration were to happen, it would be ground-breaking on so many levels. 

 

When the news broke that the collaboration WOULD happen, on a track called ‘My Universe’, the internet BROKE. Yes, we’d all imagined it would happen, that the rumours would be true, but truth always hits hard, no matter how much you wish for it or anticipate it.



The whirlwind continued. CD Singles appeared on the Coldplay UK store, a schedule dropped with a lyric video, remixes, documentary and an OFFICIAL MV?! Then, BTS and all of Coldplay finally met in New York! It was endearing to see how Coldplayers and ARMY united to celebrate our faves, yet also geared up to make this single achieve the best that it could. With streaming parties organised and giveaways announced, it felt like a full blown comeback.


 

The final sinking-in moment for me was when the Official MV dropped. The poster alone looked like something from Marvel! It announced that the MV would be directed by Dave Meyers, who directed Coldplay’s own ‘Higher Power’, beautifully shot in Seoul. I’m still not 100% sure what I expected from the MV, but if I had any expectations, the MV would have totally gone above and beyond them. The storyline, the production, the cinematography…all of it was pure perfection. My favourite touches were the holograms of Coldplay and BTS interacting with the other in reality. That little touch, I thought, helped bring a modern-day focus, at a time where, more often than not, our contact with our friends and loved ones are only virtual. Even down to the “silencers” being based on the coronavirus structure itself, I’m blown away by the thought process behind this incredible masterpiece. It makes me smile from ear to ear every time I watch it, and I’m sure I’m not alone.


 

This collaboration has been beyond my wildest dreams. It is more than a collaboration, but a true partnership in every sense of the word. From the ‘My Universe’ documentary, it is clear how much respect both BTS and Coldplay have for each other, something that is the foundation for this incredible track they have created. I’ve always felt that the best partnerships are those that stem from genuine interaction, and it is clear how genuine both sides are. I never would have imagined my two worlds colliding in this way, but I’m honoured to have witnessed it and to have been a part of it. 

At the end of the day, love them or hate them, it's Coldplay X  BTS’s Universe, and we're just living in it!















Comments

Popular Posts